Lately I’ve noticed that I have been happier. It’s not that I wasn’t before I guess, but I remember feeling very stressed out a few months ago. I think it was mainly being overwhelmed at work and not being fully prepared for my team’s growth. I was mentoring 3 interns, had 4 new hires start around the same time, and was switching to more of a management position.
Don’t get me wrong; I was relieved to have more people! My team definitely needed the help! It took me a few months of trying new things to organize all the chaos. Now we have found what works for us, are working together well, and my team has told me that they really like my management style. Even if my work is still as busy as before… it feels really good now which makes me happy :)
And when things feel good, even little things just put me in a very good mood. Some small things that have made me happy…
- Knowing alternate routes to work and feeling like a car ninja when I take back roads to bypass traffic.
- Quoting a lesser known movie I love and having people recognize and respond to it. “You use this word? Alcoves?” “Nooks and crannies, yes!”
- Looking at my work calendar for the day and seeing it free of meetings. (This is a rarity now.)
- Having people miss me while I was out on vacation and then having them joke that I’m not allowed to leave anymore XD;;
- Randomly finding Pocky flavors I haven’t tried yet. Did you know there’s a chocolate banana flavor?
- When my husband has the same food craving as me. “What should we eat tonight?” “I kind of want ramen…” “I was thinking the same thing!”
- Hanging up new art on the walls.
- Emptying the vacuum cleaner and seeing how much it picked up. (Ok this is also kind of gross, but it’s satisfying, you know?)
- When the radio station plays several songs in a row that I like.
- That last hour in the work day when most people have gone home, and I can do a bit of coding.
- Post processing my photos and feeling proud of the results. Here’s a preview of what I’ll be sharing in my first Maui entry!
Are there any small things that have made you happy too? I hope everyone has a great week!
I’m back from a week in Hawaii on the island of Maui! I’ll save details about this trip for upcoming entries though :) I’m still post processing my DSLR photos, but you can head over to my Instagram for some phone ones.
A couple years ago, I had an entry about my thoughts on the Hawaiian islands I visited, except back then I hadn’t been to Big Island yet, and I felt I didn’t know Maui too well due to visiting with family and being limited on where we went. Now that I’ve visited Maui again, I think I have a good feel of it!
Hawaii is made up of 8 main islands, each with its own personality and 6 of which you can actually visit. Of those 6, I’ve visited the 4 most popular ones. I wanted to revisit my thoughts on these islands and also rank by my favorites! (There will be some repeats in photos and descriptions from past entries.)
Oahu is the most popular island, and good for if you’re looking for a very active place. It’s home to Honolulu and the famous and busy Waikiki area. It’s not a very good place if you wanted peace and quiet. Waikiki is pretty much your stereotypical bustling beach town, and while the waters at the beaches there are very clear and calm, we thought the sand was rough.
View of Waikiki from Diamond Head
If you’re there with a car, I do recommend driving around the north part of the island because it’s quieter and a very pleasant drive. The busy-ness of the island puts Oahu at the bottom of the list for me, but on the plus side, the best food I’ve had in Hawaii was on Oahu thanks to how many amazing restaurants it has.
Laniakea Beach in north Oahu
Read the rest of this entry »
It’s been a while since I did one of these entries! Though, that’s mainly because I’ve been either really busy or uh… really lazy. For those new to this series of entries, I give an update on what I’m up to for each of my main hobbies. Starting with…
What I’m Sewing
It’s already been two months since I last worked on a cosplay! I didn’t even realize it’s been that long since my last convention. I’m currently planning my next cosplay, which is Tashigi from One Piece.
I’d like to do both of those outfits, starting with the Alabasta one. Right now I’m in the research phase and have done a quick sketch to take note of all the details before I start drafting the pattern. (In case you missed it, I have a “beginners cosplay tips” entry which talks about patterns for cosplay.)
This will be my first time cosplaying from a mainstream Anime! It’s not that I’m hipster about it or anything. It’s just most mainstream Animes are way too long, and I end up giving up part-way through. One Piece is the exception. Even though it’s over 700 episodes so far, I’m actually caught up with it and am still following it!
Read the rest of this entry »