NYC through food

September 3rd, 2011

I’m back! From where? I was in New York City the past week! My cousin’s wedding was last Saturday, so my parents, fiance, and I flew up on Wednesday to give ourselves a couple extra days there. My fiance and I were supposed to fly back on Sunday, but because of hurricane Irene, we had to change our flight. We ended up flying back on Tuesday instead.

We were staying at my grandpa’s place in Brooklyn, and luckily, that area didn’t get hit by the hurricane much. It was windy and rained through the night, but when I woke up, it was lightly raining on and off, and Irene had died down to a tropical storm.

I’ve mentioned before that I used to live in NY, so we didn’t really do any touristy things. Instead, my fiance and I were on a hunt for good food. If you follow my tumblr, then sorry, this is a repeat of what I already posted XD;; Onto the food!

The first thing we craved was NY style pizza, so we ordered a large pie from Espresso Pizzeria. I love how the crust is thin and doughy.

The next day, we went into Chinatown to get some things for my own wedding (like red envelopes and jewelry). While there, we also got dim sum. We have dim sum in Austin too, but it’s much less expensive in NYC.

We’ve always wanted to go to Katz’s Deli, so that was our lunch the day after. I thought the sandwiches were expensive ($15-16 each), but man, they were so good. I got the reuben with pastrami, and my fiance got the corned beef. This is definitely the best reuben I’ve ever had.

We saved room for dessert, and headed to Chikalicious, a dessert bar, afterward. We each got a 3 course dessert (their Prix Fixe). It started with a light poached cherry with ice cream. Then we got an almond panna cotta and fromage blanc. The fromage blanc is a cheesecake but with a very light and fluffy texture. It ended with 3 petits fours.

With one of our extra days in NY, we decided to go to S’mac… which is a restaurant just for mac n’ cheese! I got the cajun mac n’ cheese that had cajun spices, peppers, and sausage.

The weather was surprisingly nice after the hurricane passed, so we headed to Central Park. That’s where we ran into the Wafels  & Dinges cart. We got “de throwdown wafel” which apparently beat Bobby Flay in a Throwdown episode. Under that whipped cream is a Belgium waffle with spekuloos. I had to ask what spekuloos was and found out it’s a gingerbread flavored spread. Very tasty :3

We ended the day with a recommendation from a friend. We took the subway back to Chinatown for xiao long bao (soup dumplings) at Joe’s Ginger. He said it has the same food and quality as the famous Joe’s Shanghai but is usually less crowded. The xiao long bao there were really some of the best I’ve had, with a lot of flavorful soup inside each dumpling.

And well, that was how my trip was, but in terms of food XD Before I forget, Tina is doing a diary give away, so go check that out!

14 Responses to “NYC through food”

• Jerminix says:

good thing you avoided the typhoon. That is really delicious food you have there, I can also see asian food which is my favorite here in our place, hope you have a great time :)

• Alex says:

ooo new york city~ :D it’d be so funny if we crossed paths at some point LOL

yes, yes FOOD! those look delicious~~ yeah Joe’s Shanghai’s xiao long bao = yummy!!! next time you come by, you should definitely stop by K-town for the yummy korean bbqs~ *stomach growls*

• nyuu says:

I LOVE all the food pictures… although that pizza look a bit too greasy (though it wouldn’t be too greasy for me once I start to crave pizza lol)

I find it funny when ppl describe hurricane irene by just irene. It sounds like there’s this evil woman named irene doing all these horrible stuff and just died XD;

• Jayme says:

Glad to hear you weren’t affected by the hurricane!

All the food look amazing. I’m just drooling now. The desserts look so delicate *__* Must plan trip to NYC now… XD

• Joyce says:

dim sum in nyc is seriously the best! i’ve been to canada and the chinese food there is no competition with nyc’s food!! glad to hear you got a chance to go back to your hometown in nyc; that’s where i’m from too :D

• Tammy says:

Glad you made it out of NYC ok in spite of the weather :)
    OMG I missed all of those places when I went to NYC. I kind of skipped out on Chinese at NYC since Toronto already has 213524534 options hehe. Good to know where to try next time I go there :) Then again I was primary in Manhattan so maybe that’s why.

• Miria says:

I didn’t even want to look at this post. LOL
    All I see is delicious looking food and I’m already drooling… It’s good you had fun though! ^-^

Oh Cat, I’ve moved my blog to Merodi ;p when when you can, may you please change links? :D

• Tricia says:

OHMYGOD NEW YORK! And OHMYGOD, PIZZA! :) The sandwiches look so much yummy, too!

And oh, yeah, glad you didn’t experience Irene at your grandpa’s :)

• Erica says:

Sounds like an awesome adventure! I’ve never eaten half of the food you mentioned! When I’m back in Rhode Island, I’ll be sure to make a few trips to New York and find all of these delicious nom-noms!

But, Irene… Good thing by the time it hit the New England area, it died down a lot!

• Tina says:

Food is never boring! NY-style pizzas are notorious ~

I wanna try dim sum ._.

Glad you’re OK and avoided the typhoon.

Remind me to never read your food post after midnight. Now I’m starving. And what’s worse? I still haven’t fully got my smell back, so whatever I eat, I won’t taste anything!

I’m glad you had a blast in NY and all the good food, though :D

• Gel says:

Hi Cat! Sorry been MIA for awhile. Haha. But I want to THANK YOU for making me EXTRA HUNGRY with the food photos you posted :p haha. I suddenly missed my uncle who’s in NYC right now. It’s been more than a year since we last saw each other. Oh well. Happy to see that you had fun in NY!

• Shiri says:

Everything looks so delicious! The “good food hunt” is definately something I will do next time I go on a vacation somewhere :P