Wedding planning recap

February 15th, 2012

I hope everyone had a good day yesterday, whether you celebrate Valentine’s or not :) I got a nice surprise yesterday. It wasn’t from my husband though. It was from my wedding photographer who sent me a short video of our wedding.¬†You can view it here if you’d like!

That reminded me that I’ve been wanting to write about my wedding planning experience. I learned that it’s more stressful and that I cared about the details more than I originally thought. I’m not the type who had a “dream wedding” in mind or thought about it much beforehand. I am, however, the “perfectionist” type, which made me very particular about what I wanted at the wedding. If I had to offer some words of advice, they would be…

It’s not all about you
As much as I’d like to think it’s all about the couple and that it’s my big day, our parents have also been waiting for this day as much as we have. I had a fight with my parents over a decision, and in the end, I gave in to their request. It’s their big day too. After the wedding, my parents kept telling us everything was perfect. Hearing that made all of that stressful planning worth it.

DOCUMENT EVERYTHING
I cannot stress this one enough. There are so many things to keep track of, that you should find a method to document them all.

Docs for guests and responses. Docs for registry gifts – who gifted it, what it was, and whether we sent a thank you note yet. Docs for vendors – who we talked to, deposits, due dates, etc. I would say it’s better to go overboard than not write down enough!

Personality matters, even with vendors
I realized this when I was speaking with a potential caterer over the phone, and I found him very annoying. I told him we weren’t interested before we even met to do a tasting. Of course, you should like the work they do, but be sure you like their personality too! You have to keep in touch with them after all.

Be realistic with your budget
I think it helps to do your research before determining your budget, and there will be less surprises when you meet with vendors. Before I starting booking things, I looked up vendors online; I went to a wedding expo; I bought wedding magazines. I managed to make a cost estimate early on that was close to what we actually spent.

Figure out what’s worth your time
Time is money too, and I knew I’d be busier the closer it got to the wedding. ¬†Sure, I could make my own centerpieces to save money, but I personally didn’t want to worry about it. I thought it was worth paying my florist to do it. I did other things on my own though, like designing our invites and making our guest favors.

Not everyone has the same style and tastes
I had several people give me suggestions and recommend their vendors, many of which I didn’t really act on. I mean, I loved their weddings, but we all have different ideas of what we want, you know? I did actually find some of my vendors thanks to recommendations from friends, but only from a few that I knew had very similar tastes to mine.

Smile and enjoy!
It rained on the day of our wedding, which made us switch to our “plan B”. I just had to tell myself, it doesn’t matter that not everything goes according to plan. That’s not the most important part. The most important part is that I’m getting married and get to share the occasion with close family and friends. My guests aren’t going to know when something doesn’t go perfectly, so I should just enjoy the moment and let it go its course :)

* Photo and video thanks to Doberenz Photography!

20 Responses to “Wedding planning recap”

• Mija says:

I am definitely taking notes from this post! I am the worst when it comes to staying on task and organizing!! My wedding is this October ><!!~!!

Good luck with your wedding planning! Ours was in October too. I think it’s a great month for Texas weddings since it’s not too hot or cold :)

• tiff says:

Even though I’m not married yet, I’ve helped planned weddings with very close friends and siblings before, so your entry really just hit everything right. And honestly, helping plan these weddings really makes me want to get married at a court, and that’s it. But seeing how big my side of the family is, I think I’m obligated to plan a wedding if that does ever happen (I dread it!!).

Such a great wedding video you have there. I think it’s absolutely adorable the way you and your mom (assuming she is your mother) look at each other before (or after?) taking the photo. ^_^

Part way through planning, I even thought, “why did I put myself through this?!” It’s too much work!

And thanks! That is my mom :)

• nyuu says:

aww the video was really good! I like how it wasn’t corny like the usual wedding videos are haha XD Good job photographer! Everything look so pretty too! I didn’t finish watching the video because I’m not a wedding person ^^; So once I’ve seen the pretty cake, I’m good XD

I don’t plan to get marry, but your advice would come in handy when my friends get marry! D: I cannot immagine the stress you went though…so much work and planning! At least it was all worth it in the end :)

haha, it’s ok. I didn’t expect everyone to watch the video fully since it’s over 10 min :) I was glad it wasn’t super corny too!

• Alex says:

AWWWWWW that photo is super cute! (i can’t see the vid for some reason) and happy belated vday to you!!! thanks for the words of advice! i hope i can remember it all! especially the thing about how it’s also your parent’s day. so true! it must feel amazing to see your child get married and step into adulthood.

Thanks! Aah, odd that the video wasn’t working though. I think the parents’ day one is important to remember because it’s so easy to get caught up in controlling everything :) (Or maybe I’m just a control freak, lol.)

• jenn says:

I watched the video. and it’s so amazing! you had a great wedding! jeeeh! every girl dreamed of! hihhi :3 sweeeeT!

• Georgina says:

That was a simply beautiful video! You look gorgeous, girl! :D I’m so glad that you had a wonderful wedding day and have passed on your tips.

I love Google Docs because of the collaboration tool. It’s fantastic! Of course, a wedding is pretty far for me, but I’m strangely already thinking about how I’ll save money and time. I have to admit that I’m a bit selfish and I want it to all be me, me, me – I’m just saying that because I’m sure my parents will want something that I don’t. :P

Thank you! :D I wanted everything my way at first, but I eventually had to learn to compromise, haha.

I love Google Docs too! I use it heavily since it’s so easy to access. It’s really great for planning things between people.

• Nagashiko says:

Congratulations again! You look so happy together. Love your video. I hope I get to plan my own wedding in the future. Thanks for sharing some advice on wedding planning. Hope to see more pics of you and your handsome hubby. =D

• Jenni says:

That sounds like very sensible advice – I think people tend to get a bit crazy when it comes to weddings but you seem very grounded :) Knowing when to compromise is something I never get right!

I’ll admit that I might have gone a little crazy when I was stressed out, haha. I agree that a lot of people get pretty crazy over weddings though!

• Gel says:

These tips are really nice Cat and i’m sure that those who are about to get married soon will find your blog entry very helpful! That’s such a lovely photo at the last part of your entry, too <3

I hope the tips are helpful at least :) I definitely wished I had tips from someone who had first hand experience in it. And thanks!

• Carrie says:

I really never planned or daydreamed about having a “dream wedding” either. I always see how people stress about plannng their weddings and I NEVER knew it was that overwhelming until I tried it out for myself! I planned for like one or two days and got stressed, lol. I stopped and haven’t started back. Now I’m just thinking about my fiance and I flying to an ocean beach and getting married without inviting all of our family members, lol.

I definitely underestimated how stressful wedding planning would be! I guess it’s your one “big day”, so it’s worth it in the end. While we were planning, we kind of regretted not just doing a destination wedding :)