2 things recently

October 13th, 2012

A year ago, this happened:

And so, we celebrated our first anniversary earlier in the week :) It wasn’t until we got married last year that I learned about all these wedding traditions. One of them is the anniversary cake. You save the top tier of your wedding cake, store it in the freezer, and eat it on your first anniversary.

(^ Cake decorations are origami cranes.) Well… we didn’t really like the idea of eating a cake that is a year old, so we decided not to save it XD;; Instead, we celebrated at one of our favorite restaurants, Uchiko. (See food photos from Uchiko.)

I’ve also been working on 2 goals that have been on my “to-do” list for a long time: learn Japanese and go to Japan. Currently, we plan on going in 2014. Why 2 years later? It gives us more time to plan and… more time to learn Japanese!

I’ve taken language courses before, like 3 years of Spanish in high school and 5 semesters of Chinese in college. Now that I’m out of school, I didn’t want to go back to take classes. I just didn’t want to deal with homework or having to sit in class. And so… I bought Rosetta Stone! I’ve thought about buying it before, but the price made me hesitate. I mean, it’s $400 for all 3 levels of Japanese.

I plan on having an entry about it later, like on my progress and how it teaches differently than most other classes/programs. I will say that I’m enjoying it so far. My husband is also learning with me, which is exciting. I guess it’s actually the first time we’re learning something new together, and that means we can practice by speaking with each other :)

Anyway, to end this entry, I thought I’d share a few more wedding photos from last year!

Another tradition that is popular in the south is having 2 cakes. One is the groom’s cake, which is usually a fun cake chosen by the groom. We went with a Companion Cube cake:

Walking with our bridesmaids and groomsmen:

And lastly:

22 Responses to “2 things recently”

• Mija says:

You also got married in October!? Sweet! Did you marry in Austin?

I thought the same – I don’t want to save my top layer either ><;;!!!

Congrats on your year – I am in awe, you look so beautiful! This post makes me so eager for my wedding in a few weeks!!! XD!

Yep, Oct 9! We got married on the lake, so I think it technically wasn’t Austin anymore, but it was a little outside of it :3

Thank you! And I’m super excited for you! :D

• cantaloupe says:

I loathe my Rosetta Stone. I always plan to use it, but then I just can’t be bothered to actually do any of the lessons. A class would be way more effective for me. But I wish you luck in learning Japanese!

And happy anniversary!

• Joyce says:

Cat! You look soo gorgeous! :DDD Love your smile in the last photo. You both look great~ I had no idea that people saved the top tier of the cake for 1 year~~! That’s insane..yet cool and special at the same time hahah. Everyone looks really nice. The bridesmaid dresses are super elegant ^_^

Learning Japanese for your trip is awesome! I took it in college for one year and loved it ^_^ let us know how your progress is with rosetta stone!

• Grysh says:

You’re so pretty. :)

Girls like you who is married with the one they love are the luckiest girl in the world. Happy for you!

As for Japan, it is also a part of my dream to visit the wonderful country. Someday, I will.

My husband and I did the wedding cake thing. I didn’t know about it prior to my wedding except when my Mom told me we HAD to do it. It was actually really nice to eat a year later :)

Your wedding looked beautiful. So pretty :D Happy anniversary.

• Jojo says:

Awwww that’s so sweet! I didn’t know about the wedding traditions either. You’re so lucky :) Let us know how the Rosetta Stone goes, I have been thinking about trying it too.

• Jessica says:

Congrats on your 1 year Wedding Anniversary! My opinion on traditions, wedding or otherwise, is that you should only follow them if you feel comfortable with them or they make you happy. Otherwise, toss them out the window!

As for the Rosetta Stone, I have heard so many good things about it. So please do let us know how it goes. :) I am wanting to learn Japanese as well as Russian, Italian, and German. :)

The wedding pictures are absolutely gorgeous!

• Dorine says:

Ahhh! You look so beautiful in the pictures! Congratulations on your first anniversary, by the way!

I think it’s pretty cool that you want to go to Japan and learn Japanese. I haven’t gotten a chance to go to Japan (air tickets for 5 – extremely expensive!) but it sounds amazingly lovely! I hope you enjoy your trip (even though it’s in 2 years’ time)! :)

The Companion Cube cake is so unique! Wow, I want to get married now even though I’m not even at the legal age. ;)

• Enterprise says:

How sweet, Cat! *-* You look beautiful in the photos, and I absolutely *adore* your ideas of learning a new language together with your beloved husband! It’s the magic of marriage, I think– doing ALL the beautiful things together. (:

Good luck on your plans to go to Japan! I envy you.

~ Prise

• Joy says:

Congrats on the wedding anniversary! You looked sooo pretty! I normally don’t use that many “o”‘s but that’s how pretty you looked lol. You’re cake was gorgeous as well!

Oh my gosh, I want to learn Japanese too. My mom gave me a set of DVDs on the language but I never got to pop them in. It’s actually really romantic that you and your husband are learning it together.

• Shiri says:

So beautiful :)! And the photos are such great quality and overall fun! Wow

• Xixia says:

Oh Cat, you look gorgeous in all of these pictures! I love your wedding style – quirky yet so pretty. Especially with those origami cranes…what a wonderful way to decorate your cake! And heehee, Portal. :)

Ah, I hope to learn Japanese one day as well, but that’s after I get my Chinese down like a pro, and gain some fluency in Korean. XD Hope you make great and fast strides in learning Japanese!

♥ xixia

• Alyssa says:

Aww, your wedding photos are gorgeous! I love the colors of the flowers and your bridesmaids’ dresses and groomsmen’s ties. Your dress is gorgeous as well, and the venue looks lovely! And of course, the companion cube cake is awesome. My boyfriend and I have talked about having a Death Star groom’s cake at our wedding. :P

That’s awesome that you and your husband are learning Japanese together. It’s always more fun and more motivating when someone is learning with you.

Oh wow your wedding photos are so beautiful! It’s rare I see professional photographers actually produce professional photos. (I was thinking of a stupid thing in Rockefeller Center, not important.) Your wedding location doesn’t look like a church – seems like a small resort in a quiet location! And I’ve never heard of the groom’s cake; that’s such a cool cake I find it unfair grooms get to have the non-traditional cake. :P

So the tradition is the store the wedding cake for a whole year? I know technically that’s okay because of the freezer, but would’t it still be a little weird to eat? Ahaha

I have a friend trying to learn French from Rosetta Stone. I don’t know how hard she’s trying but she’s had no progress. If you’re both learning together and have motivation to learn the language, I think you can do it!

• Melissa says:

You looked so beautiful at your wedding! I hope you’re still as happy as you were on that day! You both make an amazing couple :) Also the cake looks delicious! I would of totally want to do the tradition of eating a year later :P But I suppose we all have different ideas!

I wish I could learn japeness I always hear people talking at school and I find it very different! But it sounds so cool! hahaha

• alex says:

d’awww HAPPY 1 YR ANNIVERSARY!!! lol it’s the first time i’ve heard of that cake tradition and i agree, 1 yr old cake sounds kinda gross lol!

ahhh best of luck learning japanese! definitely post about your progress! i’m interested in the rosetta stone as well, but for Mandarin Chinese …. i’m ashamed to admit that i’ve taken 3 courses in Mandarin in college and …. BLEHHH lol //fail definitely have fun in Japan! sounds really exciting!

wow that cube is a cake?! if you didn’t say so, i would’ve thought it to be a clay toy or something. too cool!

• Ivy says:

Congrats on your wedding anniversary! Your cake is so cute! :) Looks scrumptious!

I wouldn’t save the top tier and store it in the freezer. It seems kind of…too old to eat. And my stomach is sensitive. :\

Congrats again! :)

• Kim says:

This is toooooo cute! Love the pictures. I’m gonna bet you had a lovely day and are going to love looking back on these pictures forever and ever! hehe :) I don’t think there’d be any problem with eating a year old cake because it’s frozen BUT it probably would have been laden with freezer burn and not very tasty haha. Looks like you had a very lovely wedding. I hope to have one someday ^____^

Good luck on your language and traveling mission! I would LOVE to do that with my S.O. someday. Or at least learn each other’s languages (Vietnamese and Filipino) so that we can impress each other’s families (and our own, lol. I’m not very fluent in Viet at all). Is Rosetta Stone a lifetime kind of thing if you pay one big fee? Or just restricted to a specific time period? Anyway, language is a great thing to focus on once you’re done with school once and for all, definitely :)

Thanks! I know people who have done the anniversary cake and said it was still fine, but I still didn’t feel like saving it for a year, haha.

There’s 2 versions of Rosetta Stone. The online one is for a year, and then you can pay more per month after that. The other is the CD-ROMs, which has no time limit, so you can work on it as long as you want. I went with the CD-ROM version!

• Kathy says:

Two cakes? That’s a tradition I could live with. Happy Anniversary. The pictures are gorgeous, especially that last one.

• tiff says:

Oh man, I forgot how expensive Rosetta Stones was. I hope it’s worth it for its price! A long time ago, I bought a French version of it, but ended up misplacing it. Now I have a French boyfriend and I’m trying to look for it again! haha.

Also, happy belated anniversary! That companion cake looks delicious! :)