Sewing room make over

July 5th, 2013

Last week, I peeked into my sewing room and saw the mess that was still there from when I was working on my Bastion costumes. I didn’t want to work on my next project until it was cleaned up, and I also recently got a serger that I didn’t know where to place. And so… I decided to give my sewing room a make over!

This entry will have a bunch of images, so I’m using thumbnails this time. Of course, click on them for the full images :) Here is what my sewing room looked like before:

And now for the “after“! Let’s start with the wall with my sewing machine.

• I left the sewing machine where it was, but I bought a few new storage items to organize the table. I got lucky since Jo-ann had a 50% off sale on all storage items!
  • I love the spool holder for my threads. It makes it easy to see and grab the one I need :)
  • I also got a desk top drawer for notions and a small container for my machine needles and bobbins.
  • I put the serger next to the sewing machine, which meant moving the dress form and moving the wall mirror over a bit.
  • The room was lacking a clock, so I just bought a wall clock from Target.

On the adjacent wall is where my fabrics are.

• I already had that wire shelf for the fabrics, but I unfolded all of them and rolled them up instead. Sometimes it’s hard to iron out creases from a fabric that’s folded up too long, so rolling them seemed to be a better option.
  • I bought another wire shelf to hold my wigs, costume accessories, and other craft supplies.
  • The box in between them actually has file folders! I draft and alter a lot of my own patterns and didn’t have a good way to keep or organize them. I wanted a filing cabinet but found this super cute box instead that had the file folders inside.

I’m covering the next 2 walls together.

• This is where I moved my dress form, and then I put a dry erase board up next to it to take notes.¬†Fortunately, I didn’t have to buy the dry erase board. My work was trying to get rid of extras, so I grabbed one.
  • This wall also has a walk-in closet, which is where I hang up all of my costumes.
  • Adjacent is just an ironing board and TV stand with random things on it. I used to have a TV in the room, but I sold it since I don’t get cable in the room anymore.

Here’s also a close up of the things I have hanging up. I figured this would be a good room to keep all of my geeky posters, since I mainly sew to cosplay. I stopped buying prints at Anime cons because I wasn’t hanging them up. Now that I am and have empty spots, I’ll have to get some more :)

If you’re wondering where I do most of my work, it’s uh… the floor in the middle. I actually like working on the floor, especially with really large fabrics XD;; I’m currently looking into getting a cutting mat though.

Anyway, I love how clean and organized my sewing room feels now. I’m excited to work on ¬†my next projects!

19 Responses to “Sewing room make over”

Wow! What a difference. It definitely looked as though a tornado went through the room before. Now it is so neat and organized. I love that you were able to decorate the walls as well!! The room looks inviting and very sophisticated now :D Awesome job.

• Kibumie says:

WOW! It’s so organized now~ Now it feels more relaxing to work in your sewing room, than the crowded one. I like that you put your posters there from the conventions you’ve been. It’s a nice touch! The new clock that you bought is really nice too it goes well with the lamp. You have a lot of wigs! that’s so cool.

• Kalliste says:

Wow it looks great and everything is so vibrant and colourful! The new storage items seem to really help.

• Agent Q says:

My goodness look at that! I am very impressed by that transformation.It makes me want to pick up sewing and learn from scratch simply due to the vibrant colors you brought to this place. Well done! :D

Wow, you did a great job organizing, the before and after look like 2 completely different rooms :D I especially love the artwork/posters you put up on the wall – it really makes the room look cohesive, great job!

I can’t imagine how big your house is with you having a room dedicated to the sewing goodness. The before part of your sewing room looks as if you were just too busy working on your projects to even care about the neatness of the room XD. The after looks so amazing. Everything is nice and neat along with beautiful. Love love love it! You made a really good use out of all of the items in that room. It’s definitely easier to work with fabrics with the least amount of creases. You’re so well organized with your stuff :D.

Those posters/artwork looks really awesome. I can’t pick out a favorite because all of them are cute :3. There’s nothing wrong with working on the floor. It’s so much better because you have so much room to do stuff on. When I made beaded bracelets, I usually work on the floor too.

I’m looking forward to your next project!!

LOOK AT ALL THE ZELDA PRINTS! I find it funny that the artist created a print series (at least it looks like one) with Link from Ocarina of Time and Zelda from Twilight Princess. It’s too bad the History of Link poster is missing Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword, but it’s probably older. And another funny thing is how Link is always associated with the Fire Emblem dudes!

Your newly decorated sewing room can cure all OCD. XD I would love to take some time to redecorate my room. I want to take down some of the older FT Island pictures, and put up this print I bought two summers ago. But organizing my earrings comes first! I have no idea where my time goes when it’s summer, aha.

Last thing, your sewing room looks bigger than my bedroom. You have a spare room for sewing! I really think like a birdhouse New Yorker, because I can’t ever imagine having a spare room! :P

• Richelle says:

I love these before and after pictures. I need to do one of my room, omg it’s such a mess and there’s plush littered all over the place.

Haha, I have a bunch of the same Zelda posters from Club Nintendo! And I think I have some prints by the guy who made the Link and Zelda posters too.

Did you know that the creators of VG cats live about 20 mins away from me? It’s craaaaaazy! Didn’t know we had local talent XD

Your office looks so professional! I love the spool holders, so neat and tidy and the spools are super colourful!

• Ongaku says:

Looks good, you are putting my hobby room to shame. I need to get to work on mine and get things finished. lol I like those wire shelves, where did you get those? Online or a store where you live? I need to think of a better place to put certain wigs because I don’t like leaving some of them in bags. orz

Wow, Cat! The aftermath of your before mess is terrific. The room is really coming together. I feel like your next upgrade would be a sturdy desk instead of the fold out table & a comfortable chair for you to sit in instead of a foldable one, right? Meh or you’re just perfectly happy with the way things are! I like it. Must’ve taken you so long to organize everything. The spool holder must be incredibly convenient now like you said haha.

Psssst addddd a terrarium or two in there for some green! :D

• Liz says:

That’s a huge difference! It looks like a super creative space… :p So much color and whatnot. xD I agree with Tiff on the terrarium!

The wire shelves look really convenient and minimal. Are they sturdy or wobbly? :p

…and YAY for work’s summer(?) cleaning!

• Amy says:

Oh my days! That’s such an improvement! It looks much better and so organised! It’s like a huge workshop/shop (walk in closet).

Well done for actually getting it all tidied! I still have trouble tidying my own wardrobe… Lazzzyyyy.

• Claudine says:

Wow! What an improvement :) When I saw your after photos I got all creative as well! It’s really nice when your working space is neat, it also inspires you to be more creative and artsy :D

I hope I also get to make my room/workspace look like that. HAHA my room is a perpetually messy place. :))

• Huong says:

Hi Cat! I hope you’ve been well :)

The room looks so much neater :) I love to walk in a tidy place! It just feels more comfortable. With that being said, I have to tidy up my room. :P

I’ve heard that you can get so many good household goods from Target. I really need that store in the U.K!

I love the makeover! The room looks very spiffy and organised. I love having a clean room, but my rooms never stay clean very long. I think clutter is just something I need in my life LOL.

• J.T. says:

Great before and after photos! That’s a really great turn around. I had to do the same thing for my room. I re-arranged everything and organized. A simple change can sometimes make everything tons better. I actually wish I knew how to sew. I’m sure it’s not hard to learn but I would have to be willing to take time to actually learn it. haha. It’s okay, I work on the floor on big projects too…nothing wrong with that!

• Jessica says:

Yay for organization! How long did the whole process take? I’ve moved into my apartment for like 4 weeks and I still feel like everything is still a mess… And lucky that Jo-ann fabrics had a sale! Buying all this organization stuff really adds up @.@ And I have that wire organization thing too back at home, I really miss it T^T

It took around 3 or 4 days? But that’s mainly because I split up the shopping into separate days. I moved into my house like 3 years ago though, and I still have unpacked boxes, haha. Unpacking is a pain!