Memorial Day Weekend

May 24th, 2014

Phew, it’s nice to have a 3-day weekend after a busy week. I actually didn’t realize it was a 3-day weekend at first and almost scheduled a meeting for Monday. Fortunately, a coworker stopped me from doing it XD;;

This past week was the first week for our summer interns. We have a lot this time around – 30 of them! My team got 3 dev interns and 2 test interns. We decided to give all of them a week of training this year – first day/intro, Ruby on Rails, automated tests, Javascript, and the tools we use. A coworker and I led the automated tests day, and I helped out on the other days. I was barely at my desk all week!

I plan to do some relaxing this weekend, but I’d also like to stay productive. Here are some goals I’ve set for myself:

1. Hang up prints and art blocks in our game room. These to be specific:

2. Finish curtains for the guest room. These are the two patterns I chose from the swatches I showed previously. The green damask print is for the guest room, and the blue is for the game room. I still plan on picking 2 more patterns for our bedroom and kitchen.

curtains_02

3. Finish my friend’s No Face costume. This is to match with the other two Spirited Away costumes I’ve already made. I have the body made already. I just need to figure out how to do the mask part and how he’ll see out of the costume.

no_face_01

4. Put together another shelf for the family room. I bought two cubeical shelves from Target, a 6-cube one and a 12-cube one. I was lucky because they happened to be 30% off the day I went :D

The 6-cube shelf is built already and is housing some of my photography gear in the game room. I plan to use the 12-cube one to hold games and gaming accessories since the family room has our PS3, Xbox 360, and one of our Wiis.

new_shelf_06

The rest of the time will probably be spent being lazy or playing video games ;) What are your plans for the weekend?

12 Responses to “Memorial Day Weekend”

I like the prints you’re going to hang up! They are nice, and all fitting for you :)

I really like the look of the cubical cabinet. It looks quite trendy and cute!

Sounds like you’re going to have a busy 3-day weekend! You have fun and I hope you get all those accomplished!

It sounds like you’re going to have a relaxing weekend from all of the work you have been through. It’s great that your company hires almost 30 interns! It’s great for work experience and I’m sure they’re thankful for it too. Hope the interns won’t be a headache!

You have some cool art pieces to hang! They all have their own cuteness :3. Do show the final pictures when you have the curtains up! I think they’re a good choice! Good luck with finishing the costume and putting together the shelf!

As for me, I’m trying to catch up on all of my homework and studying *_*. Busy busy weekend.

Take care :D

I love that R2-D2 print! I collect anything R2-D2 related. He’s such a cutie. ;)

Those cube selves look really useful. I think I’ll have to get something similar for my flat.

I don’t really have many plans for the weekend, or what’s left of it. I’m just going to do some packing for my holiday.

I like how your company has 30 interns for different positions. Give more opportunity for people to learn so they don’t complain about no experience! Sadly I’m the only intern at my workplace and I have two jobs – web design AND web development, while the people who actually work there only have one.

I really want to live in someone else’s shoes for a weekend to learn how to be both be productive and still play video games! It’s three days into my four-day weekend so far and I haven’t done anything but sleep. I haven’t been productive nor have I played any video games! =(

Happy Memorial Day! Hope you can find some time to shop too because there are some great deals out there.

Forgot to mention how much I like the shelf and the prints! I think we want you to post a new complete photo of your game room, it must look awesome!

The prints are very beautiful! Good luck finishing your goals!

Wow, 30 interns? That’s a lot. That’s a lot to teach, but glad your company gave them the chance.

Happy Memorial Day to you~

• Tess says:

Your prints are so pretty! I’m sure they’ll make great additions to your room.
    I love how you have your cameras set on top of the desk. Makes it look so organized. I bet your whole home is organized from every corner.
    Oooh, I wonder how you will make No-Face’s mask as well!

• Krystal says:

I was a three day weekend for us in the UK as well. I had plans to hang out with friends so wasn’t so relaxing but was fun.

Today (Monday) is the last day, so having a chilled day in, playing games and watching telly.

• Claudine says:

That R2-D2 print is too cute! I love anything Star Wars and that is just too precious :)

I love how everything is so organized with you. Lol I wish I could do that. The cube shelves look so good and saves a lot of space!

• AnneMarie says:

Where do you work again? That’s crazy that there are 30 interns…that’s a big internship program! And that’s so awesome that they get that kind of training. How much experience do they typically come in with?

Love the curtains and print art by the way!

I work at a company called Spiceworks :) All of the interns are Computer Science or Engineering students, so they know how to program already. They’re usually taught Java in school though, so we wanted to give them some Ruby on Rails training.

• Chelsey says:

I’m glad you had a relaxing 3-day weekend! I agree that it’s nice to have an extra day off once in a while in our busy lives. But it looks like you were so caught up in your work you forgot! Good thing in the end you still managed to take some time to yourself.

All the prints are beautiful and unique. I think I’ve seen the one on the top right before, but I absolutely LOVE the R2-D2 print.
    The curtain fabrics you picked are also great colors. Do you plan on making the curtains yourself? If so, major props. I wish I were a DIY-er!

Happy late Memorial Day! (: