Weekend Productivity

May 11th, 2014

If you’ve been following my blog or instagram for a while, you might remember that back in November, I bought a bunch of parts during Black Friday to make a brand new computer.

new_pc_01

And then… those parts just sat around for months. I was excited for a new PC, but my PC at the time was still running and playing modern games at decent settings (even though it was 5 years old). So… I procrastinated because I didn’t want to deal with reinstalling programs and finding product keys.

After much laziness, I’m finally on my new computer :) My husband kept nagging me about it until I forced myself to take it in steps.

1. First, I built it with the new SSD in it but none of my hard drives from my old computer. This let me at least start it up, install the OS, and begin installing some programs.
  2. I began moving over the products that need to be deactivated on my old PC and reactivated on the new one (namely Rosetta Stone and Adobe products).
  3. I moved over my photos hard drive, back-up hard drive, and my Lightroom install.
  4. Finally reactivated the remaining products (including the OS) and moved my main hard drive over to be used as the main storage.

And so, here it is in all its glory!

If you’re curious, here are a few of the important parts:

It was Friday when I did the remaining computer parts. On Saturday and Sunday, I focused on cleaning and reorganizing.

Krystal had written about how she splits up cleaning over the week, which is a great idea. It inspired me to clean our house one room at a time. I started with our bedroom and bathroom, then the next day was the family room, and then the kitchen the day after that. My allergies have been better lately, which could be a coincidence, but I think it’s because there’s less dust in our house now ;)

This weekend, I tackled the guest room and game room. Remember this photo from a past entry? I emptied that shelf and moved it to the guest room.

This is because I bought 2 new shelves for the game room, this model to be exact. It was really easy to put together! Even though the instructions specified 2 people, I was able to build both by myself. Now they look like this. (No more large stacks of manga at the top..!)

I’m still in the process of cleaning and redecorating both rooms. I hope to have “home decor” entries about them later once I’m done. They will also include new curtains (hopefully) since I already ordered fabrics for both :)

Oh, and if you noticed all the cute crocheted animals (amigurumi) on the shelves… those were all made by my mom! Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there! :D

22 Responses to “Weekend Productivity”

• Chelsey says:

Wow that’s crazy! I’ve always wanted to build my own computer, but I know I’m not tech saavy whatsoever, and I’m scared I’ll mess up. Congratulations on finishing your new computer! It looks so cool; I love the addition of the lights.
    I feel like I should build myself a PC too. I’ve always been a PC gamer (albeit a simple one), starting from games like Neopets, Club Penguin, eventually migrating to Maplestory and DotA 2. What are your favorite PC games? (:

Major props to you for cleaning up the guest & gaming room. It looks SO organized and beautiful, although it didn’t even look that messy to begin with! Hey, I guess it’s the perfect time for spring cleaning anyway. (:
    Happy Mother’s Day to you too!

I am always amazed at people who can build their own computer! My husband does it and it is very cool. I would be too worried that I would connect something wrong and possibly ruin the expensive parts I just bought. I am not a gamer so I guess I don’t really have a need to build my own computer. I am happy with my iMac :)

The cleaning and organizing looks amazing. I bet you feel a bit relieved!

You’ve definitely been productive! Your new computer looks spiffy! Way better than mine, but yours is definitely meant for gaming. I don’t like gaming on my PC, so mine’s more of a mid-range machine than anything :)

And I LOVE YOUR MANGA SHELVES! I’m in love with how you organised them. I can see some of the ones I got, too! Huzzah for Junjou and the others! ^^

• Ongaku says:

So productive. 0_0 That seems like an awesome computer. I know what you mean by putting that kind of work off though. I do that kind of thing for my job every day so when I come home and need to work on my personal computer I’m like… ehhh, maybe later. LOL I have been neglecting my poor computers lately. One of them is almost ready to be trashed. ug

Nice clean and organized. I will get to do that again soon when I move AGAIN. orz lol

I remember those pictures! Congrats on putting the parts together! It’s amazing how fast the upgrades come out for the computer. That kind of makes sense because games now have a lot more details than before and requires better specs for the computer to be able to handle them. Good job to your husband on getting you to put the computer together XD. You have a lot of hard drive space dedicated to different functions (pictures vs other storage vs backup) but that’s about normal for a photographer with a bunch of high-res media and gamer :D. I like how neat your shelves are! Everything fits together so well~

• Jewel Clicks says:

Wow! you have a lot of stuff out there. :) Very productive indeed.

• Jessica says:

Yay for productive weekends! I absolutely love it when I’m able to get things done over the weekend – it sets the tone for the entire week…or ends the week on a good note. Both of which I could really use right now…but I cannot wait to see the decor posts. :)

Do you wanna build a computer? So you can go and play!

Sorry. :D

That’s great you’ve finally completed the computer! I clicked at the parts you included and seriously hope that a $60 new graphics card will be enough for me to play the 8 or 9 Xbox 360 games I want on the PC …

Now that I have all the free time in the world maybe in a couple of months I hope my bookshelf will look more like yours! :D

WOW Cat! You really outdid yourself this weekend. Your shelves look amazing now. Such a huge improvement! Really jealous of how much harddrive space you have hahaha…I NEEDZ IT. I’m imagining how much faster my photography stuff would move along on an SSD…..sigh. Not like I have any complaints about my current computer, but faster processing & video rendering would be so nice.

Best of luck on cleaning up the rest of the rooms in your house! Excited to see the end results & you’ve inspired me to clean my messy & disorganized closet!

• Jea says:

Sounds like a productive weekend indeed. I just might try splitting up the cleaning over the week because my house looks like a pig pen atm. >_<

The arrangement of the stuff on your shelves is so clean and the new black shelves look so sophisticated. *_*

Take care!

• Karin says:

Oooh, how fun with a new computer :D Must be extra nice when you’ve built it yourself. I’ve only had laptops for the past 7 years or so, but I’ve started thinking about getting a stationary instead (because gaming).

• Jessica says:

Hi Cat! That CPU is a beast! i7? wow! My boyfriend recently updated a lot of his desktop so he was teaching me all about computer components (and I should since I am now doing a lot of computational stuff @.@) I am getting his case over the weekend, I hope it will be as pretty as yours~

I am waiting until after my test on Friday to clean… @.@

• AnneMarie says:

Dang, did you put together that computer yourself? My mind can’t even comprehend the process of that. :P That’s awesome that you have a new desktop though!

And the organization of the shelves is great. I need to do that in my room… ><

I think I remember you mentioning about buying those computer parts last year. It’s good to see that you’ve put it all together now.

Setting out a cleaning schedule for the week is a good idea. I should devise one of them for my flat. :)

• Amanda says:

Can I be jealous? Doesn’t matter, I am anyway! :P I’ve been wanting to upgrade my computer for ages. It’s almost as ancient as your old one (4.5 years old now)! Upgrading all of it has always been a pain, though, so I’ve been putting it off as much as I can, haha. I was wondering, do you keep it up on the two books since you have carpet? :o

& I am also jealous of the nice, neat shelves you have. I’ve always wanted shelves full of mangas, decorated just like the ones you have! Looking forward to your future home decor updates! :)

Yep, you’re right about the carpet thing! My case has feet and stoppers to raise itself from the floor for better airflow but… they don’t do anything on carpet, haha.

• Tess says:

Wow! I am jealous you got a new cpu! I wish I could have the confidence to build like you but I think I would just end up wiring something wrong. Haha

Digging your arrangements of your manga and collection! It’s so neatly organized, maybe that will inspire me to get mine all tidied up :)

• Raisa says:

Wow, I’m super impressed that you built your computer yourself! I had to have my husband build mine for me. I just paid for the parts and he did everything else. I wish I could do it myself too.

• Shar says:

Man I wish I could put together a computer!! I would love to do that!! My laptop is such crap now that I am trying to look for a new one.

I kinda do the whole split up cleaning thing too. I like to do it when my fiance isn’t around though LOL. I like having the time to clean all to myself. Luckily my fiance is working night shifts next week so I have 2 weeks to do some real good cleaning. I like to work from the top of the house to the bottom so I’m starting with the bedroom next week too!!

• Agent Q says:

I suppose if you have an entire house to clean, it would make sense to split it up so that you don’t have to stress about it at a given time. It’s different though when you only have to worry about a small apartment and finals are looming over your shoulders. At that point, I’d rather spend hours at a time cleaning the entire thing just so that I don’t have to stress about finals. Oh, the irony here is too great. xD

Also, nice job done by your mom! How long did it take for her to make them? What fine works of art right there. :)

• Becca says:

I don’t think that I am in any way dumb with computers, but I always think it is so cool when people build their own. Both of my brothers built their own computers so they could have all the specific specs and cool designs for the cases that they wanted.

Everything looks so much more organized! I can’t wait until I can have a permanenet residence when I’m done with school – my bookshelves are overflowing with all my books and dvds and just junk, but I don’t have the space to have more than one bookshelf in there.