Lately I’ve noticed that I have been happier. It’s not that I wasn’t before I guess, but I remember feeling very stressed out a few months ago. I think it was mainly being overwhelmed at work and not being fully prepared for my team’s growth. I was mentoring 3 interns, had 4 new hires start around the same time, and was switching to more of a management position.
Don’t get me wrong; I was relieved to have more people! My team definitely needed the help! It took me a few months of trying new things to organize all the chaos. Now we have found what works for us, are working together well, and my team has told me that they really like my management style. Even if my work is still as busy as before… it feels really good now which makes me happy :)
And when things feel good, even little things just put me in a very good mood. Some small things that have made me happy…
- Knowing alternate routes to work and feeling like a car ninja when I take back roads to bypass traffic.
- Quoting a lesser known movie I love and having people recognize and respond to it. “You use this word? Alcoves?” “Nooks and crannies, yes!”
- Looking at my work calendar for the day and seeing it free of meetings. (This is a rarity now.)
- Having people miss me while I was out on vacation and then having them joke that I’m not allowed to leave anymore XD;;
- Randomly finding Pocky flavors I haven’t tried yet. Did you know there’s a chocolate banana flavor?
- When my husband has the same food craving as me. “What should we eat tonight?” “I kind of want ramen…” “I was thinking the same thing!”
- Hanging up new art on the walls.
- Emptying the vacuum cleaner and seeing how much it picked up. (Ok this is also kind of gross, but it’s satisfying, you know?)
- When the radio station plays several songs in a row that I like.
- That last hour in the work day when most people have gone home, and I can do a bit of coding.
- Post processing my photos and feeling proud of the results. Here’s a preview of what I’ll be sharing in my first Maui entry!
Are there any small things that have made you happy too? I hope everyone has a great week!
I’ve been wanting to do this tag since I’ve seen it around, and then Georgie tagged me! Thanks Georgie! :D Picking only 8 is pretty tough, but it was fun because it made me look through old photos and really made me remember some great times.
- Thank your nominator/s and link them in your post.
- Link the creator (Ariel).
- Post your 8 photos of happiness.
- The photos can be anything that represents a moment, object, place or feeling that makes you happy.
- Pop in a brief description of the photo, why you chose it or let the photos do the talking.
- Spread the happiness and tag up to ten other bloggers.
This was our honeymoon! (We took the photo with a tripod and remote shutter.) I thought about picking an engagement or wedding photo, but really, the honeymoon is when all the wedding stress is over and we can just relax and enjoy each other’s company ;) We went to Hawaii for the first time – Kauai first and then Oahu. It was a great trip that started our obsession with Hawaii. We’re currently planning our fourth trip back!
I joined the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) in college, and in my second year, I joined their officers group which really changed my life. I made lasting friends who I still see and have so many happy memories from it. It was definitely the highlight of my college life. Many of us took classes and studied together, and much of my free time was spent hanging out in our club’s office. I also met my husband in it!
This photo is after one of our “Broomball” events played at a hockey rink, except we have a ball, paddles, and we use our shoes instead of skates. There is a lot of falling, which is part of the fun ;)
Read the rest of this entry »
Thank you to Raisa, Georgie, Joy, Michelle, Liz, and Christine for nominating me for the Versatile Blogger Award!
- Thank the person who nominated you
- Include a link to their blog
- Tell the person who nominated you 7 facts about you
- Select 15 blogs/bloggers that you have recently discovered or follow regularly
1. My fingerprints are very faint
I’ve always had trouble with fingerprint readers because of how light my prints are. I’ve even registered one of my husband’s prints onto my phone, and it’ll still log him in but not me! People joke that I should start committing robbery since my prints barely show up, but that’s probably not a good idea ;)
2. I’ve worn a jade charm so long, it turned green
My grandfather used to be a jeweler and had a lot of jewelry left over after he closed his store. I guess that’s why my family thought it was ok to give me a jade necklace when I was very young… even though I broke 2 jade bracelets by running into things.
Fortunately, my necklace survived, and the jade has actually changed color over time. When I first got it, it was actually completely white. There is a belief that if you wear jade for a long time, your body heat will help change its color. (There are other silly beliefs like it changes depending on the person or your health or whatever.) I don’t know if any of those are true, but it is true that my jade has gotten green spots over time :)
Read the rest of this entry »